Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Cat House in Michigan City, Indiana -- An Easy to Get to Second Home

I have had a fantasy, for years, of a second home to which I could take a train. I like Lake Michigan and I also like a little decay and low prices (they often go together). This gave me a few options -- points north of Chicago, like Racine and Kenosha, Wisconsin, or east/southeast, like Gary and Michigan City, Indiana. Indiana won me over, however, because I could bring my cats on the train (whereas, northbound, the trains are cats non grata). Michigan City also has other essentials: Fudge, a Chinese restaurant, and a not exclusively white population.

A few months ago I bought a vacant lot in Michigan City for $1,100. In addition to being within walking distance of the commuter stop, I can also see the train from the stop (see lower photo for a view from the lot). It is also on the west side of town which, while being between the state prison for men and the coal-fired power plant (both overly yang (i.e. lively), according to feng shui -- we'll have to deal with this later), is closest to the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore.

The next step is to build a home on the lot. I have started designing it. More postings on the cat house will follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment